North Carolina and Georgia Steam
[Cradle of Forestry, Pisgah National Forest, NC
[Freedom Park, Charlotte, NC
[Great Smoky Mountains Railway, Sylva, NC
[Decapods in Georgia
[Southeastern Railway Museum, Duluth, GA
[Stone Mountain Scenic, Atlanta, GA
[Related Pages on the Web
Cradle of Forestry, Pisgah National Forest, NC
The Cradle of Forestry (part of the U.S. Forest Service) is located north of
Brevard on highway 276. A short hike into the Cradle of Forestry brings you to
this narrow gauge Champion Fibre 2-truck Climax. It is coupled to a flat and
an old crane.
Freedom Park, Charlotte, NC
This 2-8-0 locomotive was built by Baldwin in 1920 for the Charlotte Harbor &
Northern as their 72. The CH&N was acquired by the Seaboard Airline in 1928
and the locomotive was renumbered 301. The SAL swapped its tender for a
larger one. It was sold to the Gainesville Midland in March of 1951 where it
was used as a switcher. It has been on display at the park since 1959 and
was used as a playground structure until that was deemed unsafe. 301 was
given a cosmetic overhaul in 1995 or 1996.
Great Smoky Mountains Railway, Sylva, NC
This photo, taken September, 1995, is of ex-Reader 2-8-0 1702. It was
taken at Dillsboro Station just before 1702 departed for the Nantahala
Gorge. 1702 is one of eight
surviving class S-160 Consolidations.
Decapods in Georgia
The Southeastern Railway Museum was closed the day I visited, but I got a
decent shot of their decapod, number 203. 203 was built in 1928 by Baldwin.
It was used to pull excursions starting in 1959 for the Atlanta Chapter
NRHS. 203 and the GM 301, now on display in Freedom Park, Charlotte, NC, ran
the last doubleheader, on the final steam fan trip in mid 1959. The 203 was
strictly a back-up locomotive for fan trips since it did not have a stoker
(as did the other surviving GM locomotives). This lead to the heavy wear and
tear on 206 (which is displayed at the North Carolina Transportation
Museum), 208, and 209 leaving 203 in relatively good condition. This is
one reason the 203 was picked for this final fan trip. It and the 301 were
the better and more mechanically sound of the lot of engines the Midland
The depot in Winder is now being used as the Chamber of Commerce. GM 208
(nee Seaboard 530) is displayed next to it. 208 operated as late as 1959 on
fan trips organized by the Atlanta Chapter NRHS. 208 ran the last few months
with a cracked cylinder saddle which can be seen in most late photos of her.
She had a set of brace bolts, one in front of the main saddle and one behind,
just to keep her together.
GM depot, Gainesville, GA
GM 209 (former Seaboard 533) is nicely displayed in the center of town near
the old GM Depot. 206 (which is displayed at the North Carolina
Transportation Museum), 208, and 209 used to doublehead the GM freight
runs and the 206 and 209 were the last doubleheaded freight into Gainesville,
towing two SAL RSC-2/3s for the next day's freight run, after SAL took over
in July 1959. 209 last operated in 1959.
#19 was built in 1924 for the Kentucky Lumber Company. The museum does have
plan to restore this locomotive to operational condition in the next year or
This fireless locomotive named "Dayton" was built in 1913 by Lima for use
in National Cash Register's plant in Dayton, Ohio.
#1509 was built in 1876 as a 4-6-0 for the Washington City, Virginia Midland
and Great Southern Railway. It was the last Southern Railway steam
locomotive to operate in Atlanta.
#97 is was built in 1943 by Porter for the Army Corps of Engineers as #5050.
It was later used by the Georgia Power Company during the building of Plant
McDonough. It is currently operational.
In December of 1992 Chatahoochee Valley Railroad 2-8-0 21 was visible from
outside the museum through the fence (photo on left). As you can see, in
1998 (photo on right), 21 is showing some signs of "weathering".
#750 is one of five surviving FEC Pacifics. It was donated to the
Atlanta Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in July of 1962.
750 last operated in the 1980s pulling excursions on the New Georgia Railroad.
750 will probably not run again. She returned from the New Georgia Railroad
with a worn out crown sheet and other boiler and running gear problems. She
had been cosmetically restored in 2000 and placed on static display.
#290 was built in 1926. It is currently undergoing restoration work. It is
planned to have it running soon and there is talk of a two mile run to the
city of Duluth and back. 290 is probably best known for its appearance in
Fried Green Tomatoes. 290 last operated on the New Georgia Railroad
pulling excursions during the 1980s.
Most of the photos of locomotives at the Southeastern Railway Museum were
provided by Eric
Looking a bit rough (in the first photo), Gainsville Midland 116, a
consolidation, is displayed along highway 129 near Jefferson. 116 is the
sole surviving member of a group of former C of G 2-8-0s the Midland bought,
probably in the 30s or 40s. The remainder of the group were scrapped in the
early 50s. 116 was used as the Gainesville switcher up until about 1958,
when it developed a crack in the boiler, on the engineer's side. Since the
Midland already had the 301, which was a larger engine, the 116 was sidelined
and never used again. It is original, as it came to the Midland, from the
CofG. It has D slide valves with drop link valve gear and sounded different
than the others of its group. In 1998, 166 was cosmetically restored and had
a new shelter built to protect her.
This narrow gauge 4-4-0 is displayed next to the Coke Museum near the
"Underground" area of downtown Atlanta. It is lettered "Warner Brothers
Stone Mountain Scenic, Atlanta, GA
This is SA&AP #60. In this picture it is shown stuffed and mounted on the
front of a diesel powered train. #60 is a class 8-30C 700 American type
locomotive built by Baldwin in May 1922 for the San Antonio and Arkansas
Pass. It later became T&NO #260 and then Louisiana Eastern #2. It came to
Stone Mountain Scenic in 1963.
#60 is one of two 4-4-0 locomotives at the Stone Mountain Scenic. They came
to Stone Mt from the Paulson Spence collection of locomotives that were
spared from scrap in 1962. Mr. Spence had a gravel pit railroad in Louisiana
where he had some 30 locomotives. He had two 4-4-0s and a 4-6-2 that he kept
in immaculate condition and paraded around for his friends and family on his
shortline. When he died in 1961 he had stockpiled many locomotive parts with
the intention of keeping steam alive. However, his heirs did not see his
dream. Only four locos were saved (the rest were scrapped). Two 4-4-0s
went to stone Mt., the 4-6-2 went to the Blue Mt. & Reading in Pa. A third
4-4-0 (Mississippi Central #98) went to the Wilmington & Western Railroad
in Delaware. The
two 4-4-0s chased each other around the 5 mile loop at Stone Mt. for many
years -- sort of a recreation of the great loco chase of civil war fame. As
one engine went down, a baggage car was fitted over a diesel loco chassis and
the controls installed in the steamer to provide help for the grade.
The other 4-4-0 is Red River and Gulf #104. It is a class 8-24C 221 built
by Baldwin in August 1919 for the Red River and Gulf Railroad. It later
became Louisiana Easter #1. It came to the Stone Mountain Scenic Railroad
Information provided by Jeff Badger and Kevin Wood.
The third steam locomotive at Stone Mountain Scenic Railroad is a 2-6-2
Vulcan built in July 1927 for the MacRae Lumber & Manufacturing Company #1
at Quincy, Florida. It was sold to the Beechwood Band Mill Company #1 at
Cordele, Georgia. It later belonged to the Cliffside Railroad and operated
on the Echo Valley Park Railroad (Swamp Rabbit Railroad) before coming to
Stone Mountain in 1969.
Information provided by Thomas Lawson.
This class C-1 Louisville & Nashville 0-8-0 switcher is fairly hidden away
near the Earle Brown Boat Basin at the west end of town.
It was once the back-up locomotive at the Gulf Power Company generating
plant in Sneads, Florida. It sat at the plant for most of the late 1960's
and all of the 1970's until it was moved to its current location in Bainbridge.
Number 105 is displayed in a park in Moultrie, GA. It appears to me mostly
intact but has not been painted for many years. Photo courtesy Justin Mulligan.
Number 100 is on display in a part in Sylvestor, GA. 100 was owned by the
Georgia, Ashburn, Sylvester & Camilla Railroad. You may be able to see the
string of lights strung up to light it up. The park on the corner of the main
roads that run through this small town. It is in good shape as display engines
go. Photos courtesy Justin Mulligan.
Related Web Pages