Class 6 (Locobase 12813)
Data from Baldwin Locomotive Works Specification for Engines as digitized by the DeGolyer Library of Southern Methodist University Volume 28, p. 105. See also the Carolina Railroads at �
http://www.carolana.com/SC/Transportation/railroads/sc_rrs_columbia_newberry_laurens.html . Baldwin works number was 28307 in June 1906.
This shortline (aka "pocket railroad") measured 75 miles between its termini at Columbia, SC and Laurens, which lay to its northwest.The "Crooked, Noisy & Late" was quite profitable through most of its 99 years of independent operation from 1891 to 1990.
Both Newberry and Laurens were well established centers of cotton production by the time the #6 came on the line in 1906. On the other hand, in that same year the state Railway Commission asserted that passengers were poorly served. Writing of the station at Newberry, the Commission observed: "We ordered the work on this last named depot completed, and the railroad authorities, failing to obey this order, the correspondence and order were turned over to the Attorney-General, as prescribed by statute. At Clinton, on the Columbia, Newberry and Laurens Railroad, the accommodations are very poor, and a new depot was ordered erected: however, the town authorities would not allow the erection of a wooden depot, and under the statute, this Commission has no authority to order one built of brick."
Even so, the railroad linked the Midlands with South Carolina's Upstate region.
This Ten-wheeler served the line until 1932, when it was sold
Class George Foulk (Locobase 12827)
Data from Baldwin Locomotive Works Specification for Engines as digitized by the DeGolyer Library of Southern Methodist University Volume 39, p. 36. Baldwin works numbers were 37298-37299 in November 1911.
When the CN & L went back to Baldwin for some more Ten-wheelers, they adopted a mixed-traffic version with taller drivers whose negative effect on tractive effort was offset by greater cylinder volume and slightly higher boiler pressure. The boiler contained fewer but longer tubes.